Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Released: October 21, 1992
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is a platforming video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Game Boy . It debuted in Japan on October 21, 1992 , in the United States on November 1, 1992, and in Europe on January 28, 1993. Like its predecessor Super Mario Land , Super Mario Land 2 was not created by Shigeru Miyamoto , but rather by Gunpei Yokoi . Super Mario Land 2 is also the first game to feature Wario . It was one of the system's largest games (4 Mb ) at the time of its release.
In Super Mario Land 2 , Wario has put an evil spell over Mario Land. The inhabitants are now brainwashed into thinking that Wario is their master, and Mario is their enemy. Wario's motive behind this sudden attack was to take control over Mario's castle in order to have a palace of his own. In order to stop Wario, Mario must find the 6 Golden Coins throughout Mario Land to gain access to his castle. Mario eventually faces off against Wario inside his stolen castle and defeats him, thus reclaiming his castle.
While its predecessor was similar to the original Super Mario Bros. , Super Mario Land 2 has more in common with later games: the player may now scroll the screen to the left, levels are not linear by virtue of a map screen that permits him to choose a level, and the game has battery backup saves. Hidden levels have been added too, another element unavailable in the first game. In addition, the game keeps track of how many enemies the player have killed (by jumping on them, hitting them with a fireball, etc.).
Super Mario Land 2 consists of six themed zones, each culminating with the attainment of a golden coin. There are also four levels which are independent of any zones. The zones are, working clockwise around the map:
- Levels outside Zones There are a few more levels found outside the themed Zones. The first (Level 1) is an introductory stage. The second (Level 8) is situated between Tree Zone and Space Zone. The third (Level 9) is the entrance to Space Zone. The fourth (Level 32) external stage is Mario's Castle, which you need the six golden coins to get in, and confront Wario.
- Tree Zone (Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) is set in a tree. Levels are themed to various parts of the tree- the ground around it, the inside, the top and a beehive on it. T
- Space Zone (Levels 10, 11, 12) is set in space.
- Macro Zone (Levels 13, 14, 15, 16, 17) is built around a house.
- Pumpkin Zone (Levels 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23) is built around a pumpkin.
- Mario Zone (Levels 24, 25, 26, 27) looks like a large clockwork figure of Mario.
- Turtle Zone (Levels 28, 29, 30, 31) gets its name from how the player enters the zone.
There are 32 levels in total.
Like most other Mario games you can collect items which give you different power-ups. They can be aquired midlevel or in end level bonus games.
- Starman: Mario gains temporary invincibility. He is impervious to death by any means except lava, bottomless pits, getting stuck in a scrolling-screen level, and running out of time.
- Super Mushroom: Mario doubles in size, can break bricks by hitting them from below or landing on them with a spinjump, and can take one hit without dying.
- Fire Flower: As Fire Mario, he can throw fireballs that bounce across the ground.
- 1-Up Heart: Grants one extra life.
- 3-Up Heart: Grants three extra life.
- Coin: Worth one coin apiece. These can be used in the slot machine mini-game found on the world map.
- Money Bag: Worth fifty coins. These can be used in the slot machine mini-game found on the world map.
- Carrot: A Carrot transforms Mario into Bunny Mario. He can use his ears to slow his decent when falling after a jump or walking off a ledge.
This game contains 3 minigames. In one minigame you play a game of Skill Crane which you lower a claw over a moving conveyor belt which contains items. The other minigame requires you to stop randomly generated items which will block the path to various prizes. Stopping them in the correct position will leave the path to the better items open. The third minigame is a slot machine which requires coins to play. Winning can gain you more coins or even more lives.
The game actually has two levels of difficulty. The default is normal mode, though pressing Select at the file select screen displays the words "EASY MODE" at the top of the screen, which reduces the number of enemies encountered in the game.