Dr Mario 64
Released: April 9, 2001
Dr. Mario is a puzzle game based on the original Dr. Mario . It was developed by Nintendo , released for the Nintendo 64 in 2001, and is an enhanced remake of the original Dr. Mario , which was released for the NES and Game Boy in 1990. It was re-released along with Panel de Pon and Yoshi's Cookie in a GameCube video game called Nintendo Puzzle Collection in 2003, which was only released in Japan .
Dr. Mario 64 plays the same as its predecessors for the most part. Dr. Mario throws Megavitamins into a jar full of Viruses, and lining up a combination of Viruses and Megavitamins (four at minimum), they disappear. There are three types of Viruses - the Red Virus (Fever), the Blue Virus (Chill) and the Yellow Virus (Weird), with a Megavitamin color designed to kill them. It includes the main songs fever and chill from the original Dr. Mario, but it also includes two new songs named cube and Que Que.
Dr. Mario 64 features many different modes of play.
- The first one is Classic mode, which plays like the original Dr. Mario
- In the second mode of play, Story mode, Dr. Mario or Wario must track down the stolen Megavitamins. This mode only has versus matches against computers.
- The third mode allows practice against a computer player, where any character found in Story mode can be selected.
- The fourth game mode is Flash mode, where only the clearing of flashing Viruses counts.
- The fifth game mode is Marathon mode, which is basically an endless mode (the Viruses never stop coming out of the bottom of the jar).
- The sixth game mode is Score Attack mode, where there is only three minutes to get both a high score and clear all of the viruses.
- Multiplayer mode supports up to four players, which add a mode allowing four players to play on two teams.
The flu season has come about, and it's Dr. Mario's duty to use his Megavitamins to heal the people of the land. However, Wario , wanting to have the fame that Mario has, attempts to steal the Megavitamins, but to no avail. Afterwards, Mad Scienstein from Wario Land 3 steals the Megavitamins, and both Dr. Mario and Wario go after him. Throughout their adventure, both of them meet up with many creatures from Wario Land 3 . Most of the time the fights that emerge are really misunderstandings. For example, you may accidentally bump into a creature, who gets angry and retaliates. Dr. Mario and Wario follow Mad Scienstein to Rudy's castle, where you must fight Rudy to take back the vitamins.
Playable Characters in Story Mode
- Dr. Mario
Playable Characters in 2 Player and Multiplayer
- Dr. Mario
- Mad Scienstein
- Metal Mario
- Vampire Wario