Poll: Do you think you could call the Game Cube a "retro" console?
Yes
No
Maybe sometime
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Game Cube: Retro yet?
Nivlac Offline
Veteran

:

Game Cube: Retro yet?
This is just something I thought of. I'd say maybe soon, but closer to no, because it is 3D. But, Nintendo have stopped making games for it...
Have your say!

[Image: steamicon256_shine.png]
11-28-2009 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Timby Offline
Mushroom Kingdom Ruler

:

RE: Game Cube: Retro yet?
I still have mine, I will have to save it for collectors value Big Grin I'm not sure about retro, but I could see it being a collectors item for any nintendo fan.

[Image: mayhem-sig.jpg]
Follow Mario Mayhem on Facebook!

[Image: Find_us_on_facebook_badge.png]
11-28-2009 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nivlac Offline
Veteran

:

(11-28-2009 01:29 PM)Timby Wrote:  I will have to save it for collectors value Big Grin
I think I'm doing that as well Big Grin. I plugged it in just to see the menu yesterday. Truly great stuff Tongue

11-28-2009 05:01 PM
Black Dragon Offline
┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

:

I think we might save ours as well, though I really want to get it fixed if we do. I definitely wouldn't say it's "retro" yet, after all Twilight Princess was made on it not too long ago. But it is part of the older generation and headed down that road. What I don't get about the Gamecube though, is how everyone says it was the "underdog" in the last generation console war(btw, I think the console wars are stupid. Just buy whichever system you want and be happy! Don't bash and rip off the others!). I mean, sure it sold a little less than the other two, but it was by no means a "failure" or anything for Nintendo. Many of Nintendo's greatest games were made on it, after all. If you people want a failure, get yer hands on a Virtual Boy! XP

[Image: McWUC.png]
"What do you call it when there's not a soul who'll love you?"

"No one will love me; I'm all alo..."

:Image source:
:Quote Source:
11-29-2009 03:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Biolizard13 Offline
btw i'm a grill ;)

:

is the N64 considered retro?
if so, then per chance when the next gen Nintendo console is released
then, only then will the NGC be eligible to be "Retro".

[Image: Yourbody_zps13bf9829.png]
11-29-2009 05:28 PM
Nivlac Offline
Veteran

:

(11-29-2009 05:28 PM)Mr. L Wrote:  is the N64 considered retro?
if so, then per chance when the next gen Nintendo console is released
then, only then will the NGC be eligible to be "Retro".
THAT is an excellent point there! I'm not sure I'd call... hmm... yeah I'm not sure Tongue.

11-29-2009 05:50 PM
KoopaKrazy85 Offline
Moderator-person-guy-thing

:

and THIS is how you revive an old thread XD

2 years later, the question remains XD I think it's retro now with the WiiU coming out, but for me it's not with the other retro consoles... maybe it's the MASSIVE jump between N64 and GCN graphics (then again, why do I view N64 as so retro, when SNES-N64 was an even bigger leap?)

[Image: mariomayhem_signature_by_koopakrazy85-d4r0pok.png]
11-27-2011 09:34 AM
Biolizard13 Offline
btw i'm a grill ;)

:

(11-27-2011 09:34 AM)KoopaKrazy85 Wrote:  and THIS is how you revive an old thread XD

2 years later, the question remains XD I think it's retro now with the WiiU coming out, but for me it's not with the other retro consoles... maybe it's the MASSIVE jump between N64 and GCN graphics (then again, why do I view N64 as so retro, when SNES-N64 was an even bigger leap?)

The WiiU won't support NGC playback, additionally, I think that the WiiU might even have NGC games as VC if I recall correctly.

Nintendo have already released a new Wii that does not support NGC.

[Image: Yourbody_zps13bf9829.png]
11-27-2011 10:20 AM
NismoZ Offline
Cheep Cheep

:

Honestly, I can't consider the Gamecube retro until the hardware becomes outdated. And honestly, while there are some small (actually quite relatively large) technical difficulties, it's not actually that far behind. Although, from a technical point of view, a Gamecube disc holds 1.4GB, which seems like a fair amount, but a typical double-layer DVD (which is what the cool kids use nowadays) can hold 8.4GB. Even a single-layer disc (such as a standard Wii disc) holds 4.7. The Wii also has several times the processing power and physical memory, which is a bit of a giant leap forward.

Still, it's a damn sight better than a PC of the time, and by that alone I'd say it's not retro yet.

asdfasdfasdfasdfasdf
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011 01:25 PM by NismoZ.)
11-27-2011 01:25 PM
Leafshroom Offline
Para Trooper

:

This is a very interesting question! I'm not so sure it'd be considered "old" as of yet- in terms of prowess, it's not that far off from the Wii. It does, however, have a couple of games on it that are surrounded by the much-coveted nostalgia barrier. So I suppose it depends on what sense of the word "retro" means. Smile

02-05-2012 08:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favorite Gamecube Game? Yo_Yo_Cheese 25 21,223 02-23-2013 02:47 PM
Last Post: me_just_in
  best gamecube game? haha111 22 19,264 10-17-2012 04:44 PM
Last Post: bradmaxwel