What you need to know About Super Mario Odyssey Before Playing It
When it comes to video games, Super Mario is by far one of the most popular in the entire world (if not the most popular). For more than three decades, guys from Nintendo have been working hard to always come up with new features and to make their emblematic platform video game more appealing to their audience. This year, they decided to release a new game of the Super Mario series and this one promises to be the best of the entire series. They named it Super Mario Odyssey and it was released on the 27th of October 2017.
However, before you install the game and start playing it, it is recommended you read the rest of the article to learn everything it is to know about Super Mario. It’s important you have a clearer image on who Mario is, what is his history and what this latest video game brings new. This way you’ll have a much better experience playing it. We guarantee you this.
The beginning of Super Mario
1985 was an important year for the Nintendo company, because it was the year their famous platform video game Super Mario was released. Over the years, the mustachioed maestro became their mascot and the company invested a lot of time in upgrading the game and coming up with new versions every once in a few years. Their portfolio contains no less than 20 different versions of Super Mario for different devices, including Wii, PCs and so on. This character has appeared in more than 200 different video games and some examples are “Mario Kart” and “Mario Tennis”.
Who is Mario?
If you hear the name of Shigeru Miyamoto, you probably won’t have any reaction, but if one tells you that he is a famous video game designer and that he is actually the designer of Mario, you will most probably have a “Eureka” moment. Mario is a short and pudgy plumber from the Mushroom Kingdom.
Mario first appeared in the video game Donkey Kong. The idea behind this game had Popeye, Bluto and Olive Oyl as protagonists. Because Miyamoto was unsuccessful to acquire a license to be able to use these characters, he decided to create a player character himself. Over time, this newly created character had different names, such as Jumpman and Mr. Video, but Nintendo eventually decided upon “Mario” as the character’s name.
Mario’s profession was chosen to be plumber due to the fact that the game is mostly played in underground settings. Mario’s clothes, consisting of a blue shirt and red overalls were designed to avoid overlapping with the background. Also, the cap, which in Super Mario Odyssey was brought to life (and which will be discussed later in the article), was added to avoid creating a specific hairstyle for Mario. Also, this helped video game designers avoid spending too much time animating the hair as Mario jumped.
The script is mostly the same in each of the Super Mario game series. The main character, Mario, is jumping and running across different platforms and atop numerous enemies in various themed levels. The plot is quite simple, with Mario constantly trying to rescue Princess Peach, who was kidnapped by Bowser, the primary antagonist. Throughout the game, Mario has access to multiple power-ups and can pick up different items that give him some special magic powers.
What does Super Mario Odyssey bring new?
Since each of the previous Super Mario video games is quite similar to each other, you may wonder what makes Super Mario Odyssey video game different from the other versions of the game. Well, there are actually a few of them.
- Cappy – first of all, the cap that Mario wears is brought to life. Yes, you read right. And many those from Nintendo are actually quite proud of this improvement. He helps Mario gain powers and defeat enemies.
- No more timetables. Exploration is at its best in this new video game.
- Multiplayer is still available, yet it comes with something new – one player has the chance to control Mario, while the other controls Cappy.
- Countless secrets are waiting to be discovered and to make players’ game playing experience a lot more interesting. Players can now talk to the characters encountered in the game and they can find out useful clues that will help them finish quests and solve puzzles.
- Gold coins now have a completely different role. If in the previous versions of the game 100 gold coins gave Mario one extra life, this has changed in Super Mario Odyssey. Gold coins are now transformed into life force, which means Mario loses some whenever he falls too far or is hit by enemies. The moment the gold coins stash is depleted, the game is over.
Sure, there are much more interesting changes that this new Super Mario Odyssey video game comes with, but it is best that you discover them yourself. So what are you waiting for? The game was already released on the 27th of October this year, 2017, and is waiting for you to install and play it!